Sunday, 9 November 2008

I am still very worried about my sister, she is in so much pain, every time she eats the pain in her shoulder starts and lasts for about 30 mins each time, she is using heat compress, she is also taking Deflatine, and a non-fizzy pain killer, She is moving around and still this pain persists. We are both 3-days post opp now, is it normal to last this long?.

I am finding it bit difficult to read my new body signals I must admit, Not knowing weather the pains I have are hunger pains or just pain from muscles due to the surgery, also knowing when enough food is enough, I think I can manage half a cup off soup at a time, then I feel bloated, the bloated feeling comes on all of a sudden too, like its that one extra mouthful that makes all the difference, I am getting used to it and I think forgetting all the lessons learnt before and starting a fresh is key. My stomach still grumbles quite alot, is this my big empty stomach or my new little stomach? so I assume when it grumbles I must be hungry! although I am not sure if I am or not!!!. The most important thing is I am not forcing myself to eat at any stage and that I am actually enjoy the soup stage, I love soup. And to have it and feel full after without the usual 3-4 or even 5 slices of bread is fantastic!!! but my mind still has to catch up, a couple of times I have thought that I am really hungry and maybe this time I should have a whole cup, but that's just the old me, and I have to have faith in my new band!. Half a cup is plenty.

Breakfast- Banana shake (Half a cup)
Lunch- Oxtail soup (half a cup)
Dinner- the rest of the oxtail soup.
Supper- another serving of banana shake ( I seem to crave banana at the moment)

in between I have been sipping at water. and the odd coffee, but have not yet managed to finish a whole cup of coffee or whole cup of anything, That's ok and I am not going to force anything, my stomach is satisfied with just half a cup. That's so cool!!!

I am in quarantine at the moment, it seems all my children have picked up a cold, and I sure could do without that at the moment but tis that time of year! my hubby doesn't have a cold....no he has 'flu' bless him, but i cant kick him out of his own bedroom, so I am doing what I can to make sure I don't get it but there is only so much you can do when they all live with you, he has been sleeping facing the other way lol and when he is asleep he doesn't seem to move anyway then he is up early for work.

I am feeling better and better each day, I know my stomach is still swollen and not sure if I will comfortably get my uniform on for work but don't need to go in until Thursday so a few more days yet. I have not yet weighed myself, I will do it on Thursday.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Hi Zena,

Glad to here your doing great. It's really weird the NOT feeling hungry. I'm doing the same as you, I'm really listening to what my body tells me. A couple of times now I have felt my energy levels just drop and I just knew I needed to eat something. I did and felt lots better. I get a slight pain in my chest when I feel I'm full enough. But it is really hard to judge as I am so used to much bigger portions. And you are right it is a total change to how you think and feel about food. New lesson for life are to be learnt.

The pain in my shoulder has really eased - it did after 3 days, but I still get a litle pain now and again - but it goes really quickly. Tell your sister to hang in there I'm sure that in a few days time she will feel better.

take care, you pair!

Dawn
:o)
xx

Anonymous said...

Your poor sister! Dr Dreamy told me that if you got the shoulder pain it could last for up to 5 days...but it will go!! Has she tried sipping on pepperment tea and sucking peppermints...apparently that helps..along with the heat pack. I felt really bloated too and that feeling really didn't go away for about 7-8days. If I eat too much at the moment...I get a bit of shoulder pain! Apparently because our "little" stomach is so high up now it pushes on the diaphram, which in turn sends out that referred pain to the shoulder. Or, in your sister's case, the gas does that. It took me a while to figure out that too much food equalled a bout of shoulder discomfort! I resisted weighing myself until one full week had elapsed. Since then I have been weighing myself at the same time, same morning once a week. It is so hard to resist a quick look in between though!! Don't forget to get some vitamins into you for the first few weeks. They really made a difference to my tired levels! I forgot to take them yesterday morning and I felt like a nanna nap by 3pm! I got the dissolvable ones and let them go flat..then drink them. Cheers Nola

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it feel funny having to learn to eat again. For me it was so strange having my body telling me exactly what was too much. Unfortunately your sister is just going to have to hang in there - it will pass eventually.

Fingers crossed you don't get that cold!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I meant to say that my stomach made the loudest noises!! It started on day three and continued for a few days after that. I think it is just everything settling back into place? It was quite a novelty really....my stomach had never been empty long enough to "settle" before!!

Melanie said...

Ditto what others have said re the shoulder pain - it is diaphragm irritation. She could try eating/drinking smaller than small amounts more frequently as this will put less pressure under the diaphragm - the pain isn't just from wind but from the swelling of the tissue around the stomach so it will take up to a week or more before it subsides.

The cold is everywhere at the moment - had daughter home most of last week, I've had a dose and now the sone is dying in bed (as only teen boys can!!). Gotta love life!!! Take care.

Tina :o) said...

Oh i really feel for your sister. I had the WORST shoulder pain i used to cry it was that bad! I had mine for well over 10 days and i still get it off and on now! I find if i eat something too quick or a bit too much woops there goes the shoulder to remind me that i have made a mistake and take care. Mind you it is nothing like the pain i had after surgery. Thank goodness! Tell your sister to hang in there and keep up the heat packs and hot showers, and i found walking around although painful helped me to get rid of some of the gas build up.
Take care both of you. Oh and yes my tummy made some weird and wonderful noises too it still does. lol:O) Love being banded and all that comes with it.
Cheers Tina