Meet Benji...
Benji is our little puppy, we have had him for two months now and absolutely love him to bits. we got him from our local animal shelter woodgreen, he is now 5 months old and a cross-breed. He is training well, Sit, Stay, Lay down, we had him house trained within the first week of getting him, we are trying to socialize him by taking him to the park to meet with other dogs and all the dog owners we have meet have been wonderful and patient with his excitement and jumping up, he is great at home when we have left him for small amounts of time, we will not stroke him or greet him until he is sat and has all paws on the floor to stop him jumping up and he has responded very well to this, I am still trying to train him to walk on a loose lead which seems to be the most challenging thing of all to do so far, when he starts to pull on the lead I make him stop and sit and his reward for doing this on command is to continue walking which is what he really wants to do, but then he will start to pull again so we repeat the stop and sit method it takes about 30 minutes to walk about 30 meters, but we are getting there, sometimes if he pulls I will walk the other way to confuse him so he will not pull, but it is so slow and if any one has another method to train him to walk on a loose lead I would love to hear it.
When we went to pick him up from the shelter it was like we were going to get a little baby, we was all so excited. It is amazing how now he is just part of the family and would be very odd if he wern't here.
I am more of a dog person, although I do like cats but have never had a cat. I felt a dog would be better for the children, They are now old enough to care for and take a little resonsability for a family pet. Although having said that I find it is myself and hubby that do everything for Benji and as we had discussed before getting Benji it would be us that would be the one to take care of him, The children promised they would feed him, pick up his poo, take him for walks....and so on.....'Pleeeeeeaaaasssseeee mum and dad, we will do everything for himmmmmm.' HA!!! The novelty of picking up his poo very soon wore of. My youngest Elyssa claimed the responsibility of being chief poo picker-upper the day we brought him home, her new found job was self-made redundant after her third picking-up, LOL. GOTTA LOVE THE KIDS xxx
Needless to say having Benji is also doing wonders for my weight loss, he is getting me off the sofa and down the the parks for walks, It is a bit of a tie having a dog and I think this is the only downside, you don't have so much freedom, but luckily we have a caravan at the coast so we can still enjoy going away for the odd weekend and he can happily come with us.
So there he is, our sweet little Benji, our little pup pup, that loves affection, loves to play, and is happy to sleep the rest of the time, oh and poo's alot. No I mean ALOT!
.

9 comments:
I love your Benjie! He's so cute, just the sort of puppy you want to cuddle all day. I don't envy you the pooh picking up though...
Haven't you dont well with your band! I'm so pleased for you Zena.
Just keep blogging, you hear?
Caroline
When you get Benji 'in tune' with your walking pace it won't be so slow anymore. Maybe if you can figure a way to walk him a bit and then say let's go where you want for a bit Benji maybe he would get it quicker... but then I'm not one to really talk about that part of it because my two little ones would drag me all over the place. I think you are probably doing it the proper way. Repitition, repitition, repitition.
I came over from Caroline's place to meet your Benji and he is a cutie.
Helen G.
helloooooo!,
blimey we have both been very slack of late...!
Benjie - very cute...I love puppies, in fact i still call my 5yr old old - puppy!!
Glad you are back and the band is working for you. I go get another fill next Thursday and I'm hoping this will help me get back on track...I haven't hit the scales yet, but I think I must have put on as my clothes are a little tight.
chat soon lovely, glad all is well in your world.
:o)
xx
He is beautiful!! Sounds like you are doing really well with his training too. I have always walked mine with a harness because I don't like pulling on their throat....but everyone is different. They don't seem to pull with a harness because the pressure of the harness in their "armpits" stops them or something.
The "poo run" is not my favourite job about the house either!! lol
How're you doin' Zena? Update on weight - restriction - anything?
Caroline
Come back ya tart!!!!
Hi Zena! Wow aren't you doing well on your weight charts - many congratulations! I remember you saying you had reached your sweet spot. Lucky so-and-so...
Please tell us how it's been, and could we have a photo please???
Caroline
Hi Zena - just a quick message to wish you a very happy Christmas. What a long way you've come since last Christmsa!!!
Hug from Caroline
Hi Zena - hope you'll leave a message some time, would so like to know how you are (good or bad). I'm in the doldrums myself, trying to climb out, no doubt will get told off at Taunton tonight. No more room for fills, I'm at 10ml already...
Caroline
Post a Comment